Tuesday, November 30, 2010

#14 A lot to take in...

         So last blog. Here it goes. I think the most important thing I will take from this class is that not everything is to be taken at face value. What I mean is if we focus too much on the outside appearances or meanings of things, we might miss the deeper, truer meaning that someone or something is trying to convey. Dr. Borders has taught us how to look further into the culture that was around when Jesus was teaching. And with that new knowledge of their culture it gives new meaning to words that we have always used without even thinking twice about them. For example, the word Faith. In our language it is taken as an abstract idea, or noun. It has no other meaning except for a belief. If we merely "believe" in God we are saved. But the word takes on a whole new meaning when not just taken for face value. In Greek, the word for Faith is actually a verb. This presents an entirely different concept than the English version of the word (this class discussion was perhaps my favorite of all). It conveys that faith is supposed to be put into action and not just something to say. By saying and doing, as opposed to just saying, we can be better Christians and set an example for the rest of the world to follow, because quite frankly, talk is cheap when you can't back it up. New ideas that have been introduced to us by Dr. Borders have completely altered my way of thinking about my faith, how I faith, and religion in general.
            This class has been a lot to swallow, especially nearing the end. But ultimately I think it has stimulated more critical thinking from me than my other classes combined. I actually really enjoyed this class, no matter how low my test scores were.  :/

No comments:

Post a Comment